HOW TO TREAT ACNE
Acne is one of the common skin conditions which most Singaporeans face. Although it’s common, accurate information may be rare. The purpose of this article is to help you to understand acne & how you can get rid of it.
First of all, here’s why you should treat acne:
1) Dark spots & permanent scars can appear if you ignore the acne issue
2) Treating acne often boost’s an individual’s self-esteem
3) Effective treatments are widely available, such as lasers
SIGNS OF ACNE
Most people may think that Acne are just pimples, but they can comprise of any of the following: Blackheads, Whiteheads, Papules, Pustules (what we usually call “pimples”), Cysts & Nodules. It is also worth noting that Acne may not only appear on the face, but they can also appear on the back, chest, neck, shoulders, upper arms & buttocks as well.
SYMPTOMS OF ACNE
1) Dark spots on your skin: These spots may appear when your Acne heals & it can take years for it to disappear. You might want to check out our laser treatments to remove them over here.
2) Scars (permanent): People who has acne cysts & nodules may usually see permanent scarring when the acne clears. It can be preventable if you see a dermatologist early. However, you might want to explore possible acne scars treatments over here.
SO WHAT CAUSES ACNE
Acne usually appears when the pores in our skin gets clogged. The clogging starts with our dead skin cells. Usually, our dead skin cells rises to the surface of our pores and our body will shed the cells. However, being in a tropical country (Singapore), our body will start to produce lots of sebum (oil that prevents our skin from drying out). This sebum makes our dead skin cells stick inside our pores & traps them. Alongside with trapped bacteria in our pores, our pores gets inflamed (red & swollen) and when the inflammation penetrates deeper into our skin, Acne Cyst or Nodules appears.
VARIOUS TREATMENTS FOR ACNE
1) Topical Applications: Depending on the type & severity of your acne, dermatologists may prescribe “creams” to either kill the bacteria or to reduce the oil (sebums). Common topical medications may include retinoid, benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics or even salicyclic acid.
2) Oral Medications: These are medicines which works throughout your body and these may be necessary if you have red & swollen acne. This type of treatment is normally necessary to treat Acne Cysts & Nodules. Common prescriptions such as antibiotics & isotretinoins can be obtained if our doctors think that it is necessary.
3) Procedures: Lasers (Q-Switch or CO2) & Light Therapies (Intense Pulse Light) are medical grade machines which are useful in reducing the bacteria. You may find out more over here.
TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR ACNE
Here are some of our personal skincare tips which will aid in reducing your acne:
1) Wash twice a day & after sweating: Perspiration can worsen acne, so wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
2) Use your fingertips to apply a gentle cleanser. Using a cloth of sponge may irriate your skin.
3) Rinse with lukewarm water.
4) Let your skin heal naturally: If you pick or pop your acne, the acne will take longer to clear and it increases the risk of getting acne scarring.
We hoped that this article has given you a better understanding on Acne & how you can resolve your Acne issues. If you’d like to arrange for a consultation with our doctors (consultation fees starts from SGD$1 nett), do contact our concierge at +6562218221 or +6584488636.